Who we are
The types of personal information we collect
Salik may collect and process the following kinds of personal information about you from the sources identified, including but not limited to the website www.salik.ae or through an application provided by Salik(“Platform”), or when you purchase a Salik Tag from a registered vendor or when you pass through a Salik Toll Location.
Information you give us or we ask you:
- Contact details that are necessary for creating and registering for a Salik Account such as your name, email address, billing address, contact telephone numbers, P.O. Box, traffic file number, your national identity number and /or your DFM National Investor Number if you are an investor in Salik;
- Demographic information such as your age, gender, and nationality;
- Certain identity information such as your vehicle model, make and category, your car number plate and chassis number and other related information;
- Credentials such as your passwords, password hints, and similar security information used for authentication and account access;
- Certain payment information is collected by our payment gateway provider necessary for the facilitation of transactions over the Platform. This is credit/debit card numbers, expiration dates and security code;
- Web form information you provide in our enquiry forms (forms that you choose to complete will indicate whether the information requested is mandatory or voluntary); and
- Feedback and rating information you provide to us such as survey feedback.
Information we collect about you online:
When you browse or otherwise access our Platform, we may automatically collect the following information:
- Account history information related to the Services you purchase, and the activities associated with your account;
- Cookie and tracking information such as IP address, device identifier, location data, browser type and language, access times, the Uniform Resource Locator (URL), other unique identifiers, and other technical data that may uniquely identify your device, system or browser;
- Browser history information about the online pages you visit;
- Error reports and performance information of the transactions facilitated by us for you on the Platform and any problems you experience, including error reports; and
- Troubleshooting and help information when you contact us to facilitate a transaction or for support Services, phone conversations, or chat sessions with our representatives which may be monitored and recorded.
Information we collect when you use the Salik Toll Location:
When you use the Salik Toll Locations, we will automatically collect certain information, which include personal information as follows:
- The toll gate used, along with the date, time, lane and direction of travel;
- Transponder unique identifier (e.g., the transponder number), occupancy setting, and transponder type;
- Vehicle classification information, such as axle count to determine toll rate;
- Vehicle type information (such as motorcycle or clean air vehicle);
- Photographs of your vehicle in order to capture license plate images (which may also identify the vehicle’s make, model, colour, license plate number, and state and which may on occasion capture incidental images of the front seat occupants); and
- The name and address of the registered owner of a vehicle, along with the vehicle make, model, and year (when attempting to collect a toll and/or processing a Violation).
Information we receive from other sources:
We may receive personal information about you from other sources, such as:
- third parties that are engaged by us to assist with providing verification services, and to improve our marketing effort;
- service providers, law enforcement, government records or other publicly accessible directories and sources;and
- from social media platforms which typically include basic public profile information such as your username or nickname, your profile picture, and country.
Cookies and similar technologies
What is a Cookie?
Cookies are small files that are sent stored, either temporarily or permanently, to a computer's hard drive by a web server. Cookies enable websites to remember who you are when you first visit our website, and keeps you logged in for repeat visits, if you consent. Information from Cookies may include information relating to your use of our websites, information about your computer (such as IP address and browser type), and demographic data. Most browsers accept Cookies automatically, but you can set your browser to prevent this. If your browser's preferences allow it, each website or third party service provider is able to send a cookie to your browser.
The type of Cookies and other tracking technologies used on our Platform can be categorized as follows:
Strictly Necessary Cookies. As the name suggests, these are Cookies that are required for the operation of our Platform. They include, for example, Cookies that enable you to log into secure areas of our Platform, make purchases and avail our Services. Without these Cookies, you will not be able to access some parts of our Platform. These Cookies do not typically contain any information that personally identifies a user.
Performance Cookies. They allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors move around our Platform. This helps us to improve the way our Platform works, for example, by ensuring that users are finding what they are looking for easily. These Cookies do not typically contain any information that personally identifies a user.
Functionality Cookies. These are used to recognise you when you return to our Platform. These Cookies enable us to personalise our content for you, greet you by name and remember your preferences (for example, your choice of language or region). These cookies may collect your personal information to the extent you have disclosed, and if you do not accept these Cookies, then it may restrict the content on our Platform, and affect the performance and functionality of our Platform to you.
Targeting and Third Party Cookies. These Cookies record your visit to our Platform, the pages you have visited and the links you have followed. We may engage with a number of third-party service providers who may also install Cookies on your device on our behalf when you access our Platform to allow them to deliver you custom-made advertisement within their webpage. We will use this information to make our Platform and the advertising displayed on it more relevant to your interests. When you browse our Platform some of the third party Cookies may be installed on your device who provide its features on our Platform, although you may have declined your consent to our Cookies. This is due to your acceptance to use their Cookies on their website. We may also share this information with third parties for this purpose.
What Cookies does our Platform use?
The following Cookies are used on our Platform:
- Google Analytics is a web analytics service offered by Google that tracks and reports website traffic;
- Hotjar is an integrated website analytics solution that includes heatmaps of user behaviour, session recordings with mouse tracking, conversion funnels, feedback polls and full surveys; and
- Other Cookies, such as Sitecore, firewall and application cookies.
- Your consent, for example where we have obtained your consent to process your personal information for certain activities. You are free to withdraw your consent at any time by contacting us using the details under “Our Contact Information” below. If you withdraw your consent, it will not affect the lawfulness of any processing based on your consent before you withdrew it. Where applicable, we may ask for your consent to processing at the point where you provide your personal information;
- To comply with a contractual obligation; or
- For compliance with our legal obligations where applicable laws require the processing of your personal information or where we need your personal information to protect your vital interests or those of another person.
Who we share your personal information with
We may share or provide access to your personal information with the Road & Transport Authority, amongst our affiliates and business units, third party agents, service providers and contractors outside of Salik:
- for the purpose of the management and administration of Salik's business;
- in order to facilitate the provision and enhancement of services to you (including the management of your investments);
- for the purpose of the administration and maintenance of the databases storing personal information;
- as part of a transaction, financing, or for other business needs (for example, if Salik sells any of its businesses or assets, applies for a loan, or opens bank accounts, in which case Salik may need to disclose your personal information to the prospective buyer, lender or bank, as the case may be, as part of certain due diligence processes).
We may share anonymous or aggregated data with third parties such as service providers in order to facilitate our business operations.
We may share your personal information with law enforcement, regulatory bodies or other government agencies:
- To the extent required by law;
- to establish, exercise or defend our legal rights; or
- in order to investigate unauthorized attempts to modify the Platform, install harmful files or cause damage to the Platform or to Salik.
Overseas transfers of personal information
The personal information that you provide through the Platform is processed and stored in the United Arab Emirates.
We may transfer information that we collect from you to third party agents, service providers and contractors outside of Salik who are based in countries/regions outside of the UAE, where permitted by applicable laws, or if we have your consent countries/regions.
How we protect your personal information
We encourage you to keep any passwords you use confidential and to be careful to avoid "phishing" scams where someone may send you an electronic message that appears to be from us asking for your personal information. We will not request your ID or password through electronic messages.
How long we retain your personal information
We will keep your personal information while you have an account with us, or we are providing the services to you. Thereafter, we will keep your personal information for as long as is necessary:
- to respond to any questions, complaints or claims made by you or on your behalf;
- to show that we treated you fairly; and
- to keep records required by law.
You can manage your Cookie preferences and/or disable the Cookies we use by checking the “Help” or “Settings” option in your browser. While you are able to reject or delete cookies if you no longer wish to store them on your computer, please be aware that some functionalities and Services may be reduced or will not work as a consequence.
Note, you will not be able to opt-out of strictly necessary cookies.
How we use your personal information
We may collect, store, disclose and process your personal information for the following purposes:
- To provide you with a Salik Tag;
- To create and register a new Salik Account, or to update your current Salik Account;
- To process your transactions through your Salik Account, such as top up your account balance or pay a Fine;
- To provide you with appropriate information and updates about Salik and our Services;
- To give you access to your Salik Account statement and our Services;
- To communicate with you in relation to your Salik Account, any promotions you participate in, your use of our Services and any enquiries or comments made by you;
- To provide newsletters and news and financial information that you have subscribed to receive from us;
- To understand your needs and interests and to respond to your enquiries;
- To analyse and improve our Services;
- To verify and/or identify you; or
We will not retain your personal information for longer than necessary for the purposes set out in this policy. When it is no longer necessary to retain your personal information, we will delete or anonymise it.
You have the right to:
- obtain information regarding the processing and protection of your personal information and access to the personal information which Salik holds about you;
- ask us to provide a copy of the personal information we hold about you;
- have personal information deleted or any inaccurate personal information about you corrected;
- request the transfer of your personal information to another party whenever this is technically feasible;
- object to processing your personal information for data profiling, direct marketing and automated processing; and
- right to lodge a complaint with the UAE Data Office.
If we are relying on your consent to process your personal information for certain activities, you are free to limit or withdraw your consent at any time by contacting us using the details under “Our Contact Information”. If you withdraw your consent, it will not affect the lawfulness of any processing based on your consent before you withdrew it.
If you would like to exercise any of your rights in relation to the personal information we hold about you, you can make such request by emailing us on using the email address under the section headed “Our Contact Information” below.
Processing of personal information for marketing purposes
We may contact you by mail, e-mail, SMS/text, telephone and other electronic means for direct marketing purposes to provide information on products and services that we believe will be of interest, to the extent permitted by applicable law, unless you object to receiving such information. If you do not want to receive such communications from us please contact us on the details set out below or by using the opt-out facilities provided within the relevant marketing material.
Questions and concerns
We are typically able to resolve privacy questions or concerns promptly and effectively. If you are not satisfied with the response you receive from us, you may escalate concerns to the UAE Data Office.
Our contact information
Address: RTA HQ, Umm Ramool, Marrakesh St, Block C, Floor 1 P.O. Box 118899 Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
Telephone: 800 SALIK (72545)